Monday, March 6, 2017

{Recipe} Spicy Lentil Salad - Vegan/Oil Free

Oh wow is this salad good! It's bursting with flavor and delicious served hot or cold.  Pair it with some rice and you've got a meal.  The first time I made this, we devoured it before I had a chance to photograph it.   So here's take two!
This is an Ethiopian dish (Azifa) that is perfect for a potluck.  There's no oil in my version and you don't miss it but feel free to add some olive oil if you like.  
 Spicy Lentil Salad


  • 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1/4-1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds and membrane removed)
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 TBS Dijon mustard
  • salt & pepper to taste
 To make:
  • Cook lentils, add lentils to a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until tender and water is absorbed. Mine took about 45 minutes but I cook mine on very low.
  • Add lentils to a large bowl with onion and jalapeno.
  • Add the juice of one lemon and dijon mustard.
  • Stir to combine. 
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Best served chilled so the flavors have a chance to mingle but it's good served immediately as well.

It might not be the prettiest salad but it makes up for it in mouthwatering taste!  I'm loving my 'new' thrifted bowl that I forgot to mention from this trip.
Let's Keep In Touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up:
Creative Mondays
Pin It

8 comments:

Barefoot by the Sea said...

This is my kind of recipe! Easy and delicious! Healthy too! Another great one - thanks for sharing and HAPPY MONDAY! Feels like one here!

Tamar SB said...

Yum! I do a version of this with sun dried tomatoes!

Clairejustine oxox said...

Yummy! This looks tasty and healthy Heather :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

Carla from The River said...

Thank you!! I always appreciate when you share your recipes.
Carla

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Yum! I'm cutting carbs as we speak so this salad is perfect and satiating!
Thank you for visiting babe- Hope to see you back for my latest!

Xx- Julie | Haute Khuuture Blog

Creations By Cindy said...

This looks great . And looks so cute say . I may just need to try this .hugs and blessings , cindy

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love lentil salad and yours looks really good Heather. Thanks for sharing at C&C with J&J.

Clairejustine oxox said...

Thank again for sharing Heather.Y ou are one of my features this week at the blog hop.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails