Oh wow is this salad good! It's bursting with flavor and delicious served hot or cold. Pair it with some rice and you've got a meal. The first time I made this, we devoured it before I had a chance to photograph it. So here's take two!
This is an Ethiopian dish (Azifa) that is perfect for a potluck. There's no oil in my version and you don't miss it but feel free to add some olive oil if you like.
Spicy Lentil Salad
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/4-1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds and membrane removed)
- 1 lemon
- 1 TBS Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook lentils, add lentils to a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until tender and water is absorbed. Mine took about 45 minutes but I cook mine on very low.
- Add lentils to a large bowl with onion and jalapeno.
- Add the juice of one lemon and dijon mustard.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served chilled so the flavors have a chance to mingle but it's good served immediately as well.
Let's Keep In Touch!